Sunday, 11 May 2008

raus raus



stanford prison experiment

3 comments:

you-x said...

This is something which I find myself bringing up in conversations quite a bit. The last time I brought it up my then new friend Jordan related that his father had worked in correctional facilities and had increasingly exhibited the dominating cruel characteristics that the guards in the experiment did after mere hours or whatever. It got to the point where Jordan and his mother left and etc...

Really great that you posted these choice caps and the wikipedia link.

I love sociology experiments, and this one was one of the best, and also most infamous, some people still scarred by it. Have you read 'The Lucifer Effect'? I tried but couldn't finish it, I think it was just bad timing. It's the most recent work by the guy who ran the Stanford Prison Experiment.

kier said...

i love reading about this, and similar experiments, like the yale electroshock one that i can't recall the name of. i just saw das experiment, the german film loosely based on this, it was really good. that's a terrifying story about your friend's dad. this kind of stuff is so creeepy.

i know of the lucifer effect, but haven't read it. i'm not a big fan of zimbardo, the scientist who did the experiment. i've only read a little of his conclusions and opinions about the results of the experiment and he sounds so far off it's crazy. just the fact that he participated in the experiment as prison ward leader, while being the only person in control of it was really shocking to me.

what was what you read of the lucifer effect like? if i remember right it's about how "good men turn bad" or something like it?

kier said...

that's a lot of Es in that creepy.